Berries macaron with raspberries and blueberries in a 3 inches big macaron sandwich filled with passion fruit buttercream
Me: Hey, wanna share this with me later?
Boyfriend: Please don’t make me eat that. I’m not ready for sugar.
Too bad macarons are so sweet.
I’ve always wanted to bake and assemble a big berries macaron especially one filled with raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. Though mine doesn’t include strawberries, I love the pop of color. The closest big macaron I’ve come to are my corgi macarons which are about 2 – 2.5 inches.
If you take a look on Mimi’s blog site, I left a comment on July 9, 2015. Haha and now two years later, I’ve finally done it. It all started when I wanted to make macarons, but I didn’t want to have four full baking trays of circles. I wanted to lessen the amount of piping I had to do, so I made bigger ones.
These berries macarons are so simple to assemble. Just pipe your buttercream filling, leaving some space for your berries to sit in between. Spread a thin layer of buttercream on top of the fruit and on the other shell and then sandwich it together. I had some extra space, so I popped in some blueberries to even it out. Ideally fruits should be glazed before placing on dessert, but I didn’t.
Berries Big Macaron Notes
- Baked these 3″ macaron shells at 300°F at 30 minutes and rested for 1.5 hours long
- Colors: Americolor – leaf green, sky blue and royal blue
- Filled with 2-3 Tbsps unsalted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp passion fruit extract
- Instead of swirling the batter to make the full size, I piped straight on like I do for normal size macarons. Then used my piping tip to “move” the batter into the right spot.
- Template from Indulge with Mimi – queen of macarons
I’d like to try these again but with ruffles or buttercream roses…something that looks exquisite. For now, back in the freezer it goes.