Hello Kitty Grapefruit Matcha Macarons
Iconic Hello Kitty Sanrio macarons baked using the French meringue method and paired with green grapefruit matcha buttercream filling.
If you’re not familiar with matcha powder, it has a bitter taste to it. Combine that with fresh grapefruit and you get a stronger sharp bitter taste with a mix of sweetness added in. We wanted to make a filling that wasn’t so sweet you needed a glass of water to wash it down. We think this pairing did the trick! And we do love the vibrant green color and aroma of this grapefruit matcha buttercream.
According to Wikipedia – Hello Kitty is good at baking cookies and loves Mama’s homemade apple pie. Maybe Hello Kitty is also good at baking French macarons? 🙂
Grapefruit Matcha Buttercream
● 1/4 cup (4 Tbsps) unsalted butter, room temperature
● 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsps powdered sugar
● 1 tsp matcha powder
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● 1 Tbsp grapefruit zest
● 1 tsp heavy cream
Cream the unsalted butter and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy. Add extract and then mix in matcha powder. Then add grapefruit zest. If needed, pour in heavy cream and combine thoroughly until desired consistency.
Hello Kitty Tips and Resources
● You can use a toothpick and dragged the piped macaron batter outwards to form ears. You may use a smaller piping tip for precision.
● Prepared Batter: White, black and red. You may also prepare a small amount of yellow macaron batter.
● A tweezer used specifically for food only would totally be helpful when it comes to the yellow sprinkle nose placement! Ours were a little lopsided since it was dropped in.
● If you prefer a stronger matcha taste, add in another teaspoon of matcha powder. Stop and taste your buttercream until it’s sweet or bitter enough for taste.
● Template: Java Cupcake | Recipe: Indulge From Mimi
This delectable macaron is great for many special occasions! Have fun baking and creating.